Labels

Monday, July 23, 2012

Flat Stanley and Larry

I have decided to use Flat Stanley in my classroom this year. Stanley is a boy who gets flattened when a bulletin board falls on him and then gets sent on adventures through the mail.
my Flat Stanley
You can find his books here and learn more about the Flat Stanley project here.

I am going to California to visit my sister before school starts and decided to make a Stanley to bring with me. I am excited to share this with my kiddos and think it will be a great way to get them excited about geography and writing and learning about new places.

That's right, that is Stanley with a bird's nest! 

Backstory:
I have a few different plants that grow on my balcony. I normally move them inside if I am going to be gone for an extended amount of time to try to keep them from drying out. I was at my parents' house for about a week and a half and left the plants out on my patio. When I came back, I went outside to water them, and discovered a bird had decided my dying mint would be the perfect place to make a nest!

It's hard to see, but there is a bird in there! (Click to make it bigger)

(Further backstory: I am scared of birds. I have this fear that they will attack me and get tangled in my hair and peck and scratch my face. I know its dumb, but oh well.)


I immediately freaked out and ran back inside. Over the past couple of days, I have gotten (slightly) more comfortable with the bird. I no longer have to wear a sweatshirt with the hood drawn around my face to water my plants. Progress!


I was trying to figure out what kind of bird it is and came across a guy online who said he could identify nests and eggs. I emailed him with some info and included a couple of pictures. Turns out my bird is a morning dove, and the eggs should hatch sometime in the next week. The babies should stay in the nest for about two weeks before they leave. 


The eggs :)


I am calling the bird Larry after the bird man who identified him. (The bird I have seen is a male...apparently the male sits on the nest during the day, and the female at night.)


I am hoping to get some good pictures of the babies when they hatch! I'll be sure to share them if I do :)


Stanley and Larry
I would try to get him closer if I wasn't terrified that Larry will attack me. That's not even me holding Stanley...it's my brave friend Rita :)  
(We ran screaming inside moments after this picture was taken and Larry got scared and flew away which in turn scared us!)




P.S.: If anyone wants to help with the Flat Stanley project, let me know! If you have an iPhone, you can download a free Flat Stanley app that superimposes him on pictures. I can also send you a Stanley to take pictures of. Thanks!!


No comments:

Post a Comment